You are welcome to use the ideas and plans for your salt and light ministry.
On this page:
- Tips for starting a ministry.
- Watchmen Ministry outline.
- Prayer Guides.
- Watchmen Ministry Monthly Prayer Guide (Download)
- Watchmen Ministry General Prayer Guide (below)
- Hosting a Monthly Meeting.
- Information Table Material.
Tips for starting out:
- First, seek the Lord`s vision for this ministry.
- Get the approval of your pastor.
- Recruit like-minded people.
- Start with a regular prayer meeting, praying specifically for our nation. Prayer guides are available below.
- Contact and establish a relationship with your state Family Policy Council. Let them know about the new ministry. Link: http://www.frc.org/state-policy-organizations
- Consider projects like voter registration drives during election season. Contact your county voter registrar’s office for training and voter registration applications.
- Sign up for email updates from pro-family organizations. Below are 5 that you can`t be without.
The LORD replied, “If you return to me, I will restore you so you can
continue to serve me. If you speak words that are worthy, you will be
my spokesman. You are to influence them; do not let them influence you!
Jeremiah 15:19 NLT
Watchmen will educate, equip and encourage the Church to stand for righteousness in the public square. We provide opportunities for this by actively:
Educating & Equipping the Church
• Hosting monthly meetings designed to provide a deeper understanding of current issues.
• Distributing informative legislative briefings and updates.
• Hosting special events to address specific topics and issues.
• Producing and distributing voter guides, and hosting election forums.
• Engaging in outreach to other churches by providing assistance in starting a social action ministry, sharing information & resources, and working together on specific issues.
Encouraging Targeted Action
• We will make our concerns known to the elected and the influential.
• We will provide user-friendly action alerts to respond to targeted issues.
• We will participate in the political/electoral process by conducting voter registration and petition drives.
• We commit to praying for God’s influence upon our nation; our elected leaders, and our laws.
The book of Ezekiel, verse 22, tells us the Lord is looking for someone to stand in the gap on behalf of the nation. Pray is our first and best defense in a sinful and corrupt world. Gathering in prayer as the body of Christ should be at the top of our ministry to do list. Use this Stand in the Gap template below to build your own prayer guide.
Stand in the Gap
PRAYER FOR OUR NATION
Calvary Chapel Chino Hills
So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land that I should not destroy it.
Our Elected Officials:
Pray . . . for kings and all others who are in authority, so that we can live in peace and quietness, in godliness and dignity. I Timothy 2:2
President Barack Obama.
Vice President Joe Biden.
Governor Edmund "Jerry" Brown.
U.S. Senators: Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer.
U.S. Congressmen: Gary Miller, David Dreier, Joe Baca, Ken Calvert.
State Senators: Bob Huff, Gloria Negrete McLeod, Bob Dutton.
State Assembly: Curt Hagman, Norma Torres, Mike Morrell, Tim Donnelly.
Local Mayors: Chino Hills: Peter Rogers - Chino: Dennis Yates Ontario: Paul Leon - Diamond Bar: Ron Everett - Pomona: Elliott Rothman - Montclair: Paul Eaton - San Dimas: Curtis Morris - La Verne: John Blickenstaff - Upland: John Pomierski - Rancho Cucamonga: Donald Kurth
Local Officials: City Council Members, School Board Members.
For America - Spiritual Revival, Repentance of Sin, For Churches to Stand for Righteousness:
… if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land
2 Chronicles 7:14
Defense of Life at Every Stage (Conception to Natural Death):
For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. Psalm 139:13
Sanctity of Marriage & the Family:
For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife …Mark 10:7
Salvation of the Lost:
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:3-4
Protection of Military, Police, Firefighters, all Front-line Defenders:
Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. John 15:13
Teachers, Students, School Administrators and Curriculum:
The integrity of the upright will guide them … Proverbs 11:3
The Impact of the Internet, TV, Music, Movies, and all Media:
Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things… Psalm 119:37
Protection of our Nation from Terrorism, Radical Islam:
Do not be afraid of sudden terror, Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes, for the Lord will be your confidence… Proverbs 3:25
Economic Status of the Nation, Current Issues and Current News:
Therefore all Your precepts concerning all things I consider to be right; I hate every false way. Psalm 119:128
Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem:
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem… Psalm 122:6
Monthly Meeting Agenda (Sample)
Calvary Chapel Chino Hills
“Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and raise up the age old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets With Dwellings.”
Introductions: Ask everyone to introduce themselves and if they`re visting, the name of their church.
* Red Envelope Project - Over 2.25 million delivered to the White House.
* Inland Empire Tea Party - Next date July 4, 2009.
* De-funding Planned Parenthood
* Day of Silence (DOS) April 17 & Day of Truth (DOT) April 20:
CVUSD - Last year restricted the event to the gay club meeting.
This year according to the Chino High School Newspaper:
The Gay-Straight Alliance Club of Chino High School will be commemorating the Day of Silence on Wednesday, April 8th. (Notice they moved their event date ahead.) This event was first held on a university campus to pay respect to those individuals who were not able to speak freely about their sexual orientation. Club members will be available at lunch outside the Counseling Office to hand out rainbow shoelaces, candy and information about GSA and the Day of Silence.
NEED: Establish a team to start working on long and short term goals, well ahead of the April 2010 event. Please let me know if you can help.
* Ensure that the school board and church are well-informed.
* Understand the guidelines for participation in the DOS & DOT.
* Senate Bill 777, which redefines the term “gender” for all public schools in California. The term now means any sexual preference imaginable. In other words, you are what you think you are, regardless of your biological make-up. Further, gender is now a protected classification under California’s nondiscrimination laws. Among other absurd consequences, as applied this law will require the girls’ locker room to be open to any boy claiming to be a girl and vice versa. We have filed suit to reverse this law and new definition of “gender.” (Source: Advocates website www.faith-freedom.com)
Advocates for Faith and Freedom (Robert Tyler’s organization) filed a brief challenging the constitutionality of Senate Bill 777. The Bill redefined the term “gender” in the California Education Code for all public schools. Recently, the Attorney General’s office filed a brief on behalf of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, Jack O’Connell, to dismiss the case. Advocates attorneys are asking the Court to deny the Defendant’s attempt to dismiss the case. Pray!
* Prop. 8 update
Continue to pray. The court will give a 24 hr. notice once they reach a decision. The decision is expected within 90 days. (June 3, 2009)
Please consider making contributions to Protect Marriage.com
* Harvey Milk Day SB 572 - Passed in the Governmental Organizational Committee and now in the Ed. Committee, Senator Bob Huff Co-chair of Ed. Com. (May 6 hearing.)
We’ll have a bulletin insert as soon since they are almost out of assigned committees.
* Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 - H.R. 1913
Source: FRC - The enactment of so-called “hate crimes” legislation is a long stated objective of the homosexual agenda. What “hate crimes” legislation does is lay the legal foundation and framework for investigating, prosecuting and persecuting pastors, business owners, and anyone else whose actions reflect their faith. The House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to this bill Wed.
It was in a similar hearing last Congress that Rep. Artur Davis (D-AL) admitted that under the legislation pastors could be arrested for hate crimes. The act would establish a new FEDERAL offense for so-called “hate crimes” and add “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” as protected classes. It will mandate a separate federal criminal prosecution for state offenses. Adding “sexual orientation” to thought crimes legislation gives one set of crime victims a higher level of protection than it gives to people like you and me. ALL people deserve to be protected from crime, not just certain groups.
They need to hear from you. Go to FRC.org and sign the online petition.
* Family Research Council Online Policy Lectures: Free Event
- “Wall of Separation Between Church and State: Myth, Reality, Results”
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 8:00 a.m. PST
*Voter Registration Drive - Sundays, April 26, and May 3
-Voter registration, training provided.
* Calvary Chapel Chino Hills: Stand in the Gap/Prayer for our Nation
1st Wed. of every month - 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Room W-107
*Act for America - Bridget Gabriel - Fri., April 24
*Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa: Change Conference - Sat., May 9
Handouts available and also an online flier is available.
Guest speaker: Propositions on May 19, 2009 ballot.
Watchmen Ministry relies on the websites listed below to keep us informed.
American Family Association: www.afa.net
California Family Council (CA): www.californiafamily.org
Concerned Women for America: www.cwfa.org
Family Research Council: www.frc.org
Ministry Information Table
A monthly information table in set in the church courtyard with material regarding current legislation, news, pamphlets from different organizations, etc. Many sites offers free material.
From: Alliance Defense Fund
The Truth About...
These important pamphlets provide information on issues important to you and your family.
The Truth About “Separation of Church and State” (.pdf)
The Truth About Equal Access (.pdf)
Defending Our First Liberty (.pdf)
The Truth About International Law (.pdf)
The Truth About Same-Sex "Marriage" (.pdf)
The Truth about Student Rights (.pdf)
The Truth about the Ten Commandments in American Law (.pdf)
The Truth will set us Free, but only if we can share it (.pdf)
The Truth About Faith in the Workplace (.pdf)
The California Secretary of State provides free voter registration forms that are not County specific. You can fill out and mail or fax the required Statement of Distributon Form and they will mail them to you.
Statement of Distribution Form for Voter Registration Cards
Anyone requesting 50 or more voter registration cards from the Secretary of State must complete and submit a Statement of Distribution Form and a plan of distribution to the Secretary of State.
The statement and plan of distribution can be mailed or faxed to:
- California Secretary of State
- Elections Division
- 1500 11th Street, 5th Floor
- Sacramento, CA 95814
- Fax: (916) 653-3214
The Secretary of State`s Elections Division will process the request within 48 hours of receiving it. For additional assistance, please contact the Secretary of State`s Elections Division at (916) 657-2166.